MPI continues to revolutionize the technology of producing and processing wax patterns with the introduction of a full line of automated injection cells. MPI automated injection cells allow you the flexibility to make wax patterns from the simplest commercial parts to complex patterns required by the medical and aerospace industries including single crystal turbine blades. By combining the highest levels of automation into our SMART injection systems, MPI is able to consistently produce high-quality, high-volume wax patterns. These self-contained automated injection cells are equipped with an MPI wax injector, pattern/core conveyor, automatic tool change station, and a 6-axis robot. The automated injection cells also featured MPI’s intuitive Smart Controls™, providing the operator with intuitive, user-friendly access to the machines process controls. MPI engineers have integrated the robot controls into the operator’s interface terminal OIT so operation of the automated inject cells does not require any robot programming knowledge. A typical operator can be trained to run these cells in one day.
Automated Injection Cells
and Flexible Configuration
Automated injection designed to meet the needs of your application
MPI has incorporated the best process controls into every automated function from inserting ceramic cores, wax injection and pattern removal, to pattern setting, injection runner trimming and inspection. The robotic end-of-arm tooling on the automated injection cells have also been specifically designed for automation and allows for rapid tool changes from a tooling library. Smart Controls™ are capable of converting all cell parameters into easy-to-access recipes that can be operated by typical wax-room personnel.
- From simple cell-performing wax injection to full functional cell-performing secondary operations.
- Lubricate/mold release spray
- Pattern trimming
- Core insertion
- Programmable pattern trimming
- Pattern setting
- Dip sealing
- Built with MPI’s world-class wax injectors
- Versatile 6-axis robots can easily handle any pattern
- Intuitive Smart Controls™ ensures consistent results with virtually no supervision.
- Robot programmer is not required—operator can be trained in one day.
- Automated tool change allows for job changeover in less than a minute.
- Automatic tool ID ensures the tools picked by the robot match the product being injected.
- Standalone system can be integrated into a fully automated wax room.
- Optional bar code reader allows simple loading of recipes.
Automate Your Way to Increased Profitability
The benefits of automation are undeniable; by eliminating operator variation and providing accurate process control you will not only see substantial increases in terms of productivity and uniformity, it will have a dramatic impact on profitability as well.
Our automation partners experience:
- Increased casting yields by up to 30%
- Reduced scrap by an average of 50%
- Cycle times 2-5x faster
- Perfect patterns 100% of the time
- Increased patterns produced per day by more than 100%
- Increased throughput by an average of 50%
Total Control at Your Fingertips
All automated injection cells are equipped with MPI’s intuitive Smart System Process Controls. This system allows you to monitor all aspects of the system during operation. The controls are also the access point to all other critical data and machine functions.
Main Operator Interface Terminal (OIT)
The work area in the center of the data monitor window includes interactive OIT touch screen buttons that allow you to monitor the process without ever having to access the robot controller:
- Injection data
- Robot status
- Tray data
- Tool station activity
- Pattern loading
Inject Data Window
The simple, intuitive displays all key injection process parameters from the cell central control. The injection pattern placement window enables an average operator to optimize robot pick-and-place positions within the injection machine independently without the use of the robot teach pendant. Screen data includes:
- View of the injection machine from the cell central control
- View and record injection key process variables (KPV)
- Central login, messages, and alarms
- Injection pattern placement window to enable the pattern pick and placement positions to be optimized without the use of the robot teach pendant
The recipe window allows you to manage all data parameters required for running a job. From this window you can:
- Create recipes
- Load recipes
- Change-over in one minute
- Save recipes
- Edit recipes
- Delete recipes
Ask About Our Free Wax-Room Evaluation and ROI Analysis.
The team at MPI offers a free wax-room evaluation. MPI engineers will tour your facility and perform an exhaustive review of your current process and help you to understand what type of return on investment (ROI) you may expect to experience as a result of increased performance and cost savings. MPI can also perform a demonstration at MPI’s world headquarters in Poughkeepsie, New York, where you can see firsthand how automation can continuously produce high-volume, consistent, repeatable, accurate, high-quality patterns.
- 6-axis robot
- Automatic quick change end-of-arm tooling
- Pattern holder vacuum and gripper circuits
- Smart Controls™—12″ color operator interface terminal (Windows based)
- Network ready tool stands—MPI will design the right tool stand for your application
- Loading station—used for inserting various components into the die prior to injection (e.g., ceramic cores)
- Pattern tray—MPI can design trays, conveyors, or other means to deliver your injections from within the cell.
- Bar code reader allows simple loading of recipes.